Sunday, December 5, 2010

15.2 Bionic

When and where did I find this word: I first heard this word during the Thanksgiving break while I was watching TV. The first time I heard it on the Oprah Winfrey Show (2010) when she was interviewing the "Bionic Man." The second time I heard the word used was in the film "Employee of the Month" (2008). Based on what I know of the Bionic Man, I believe the word bionic has to do with strength or being a super human.

What the word means: According to Dictionary.com (2010), bionic is an adjective that describes a human who has electrical or mechanical parts to assist the body during dangerous tasks to make the body seem as if it is super human in performing tasks that are not typical of the human body. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bionic
My level of Familiarity: I have heard of the Bionic Man and Bionic Women because I know they were TV characters is an older TV show that was on before I was born. I knew that the word had to do with some type of strength as the bionic characters had enormous strength and were superheros. I did not know the first part of the definition that describes electrical or mechanical parts that assist the body. I am reminded of when I was in first grade and I used to watch the Power Rangers. The Power Rangers had a huge electrical fighting machine that they would use to fight which is a bionic mechanical device shown in the image above.

Do I Believe this is a Word that I should Know Well: Yes, this term describes strength and was a popular TV character that most of my parents generation is very familiar with, and thus know the meaning of bionic. As our society is fascinated with superheros, I think I should understand this term well.
 
Do You Believe this is a Word You Want Others to Know Well: Yes, I think others should know this well because it is a term that many of our parents know because of popular culture and TV. Thus, I think that others should know the meaning when it comes up on TV, reruns, or in conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment