Saturday, December 4, 2010

15.1 Serendipity

When and where did I find this word: I heard this word last Sunday when I was watching TV. I was watching the movie "Employee of the Month" (2008) and heard the term serendipitous and thought that it would be a great word to learn more about.

What the word means: According to dictionary.com (2010), serendipity is a noun that means discovering something by accident or often refers to good luck and good fortune. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/serendipity+

My level of Familiarity: I first heard the term serendipity when I saw a movie with the title "Serendipity." The whole movie was about time travel. I was very young at the time I saw the movie and don't think I ever put the title and message of the movie together to understand the term serendipity. I did not have much understanding of the word prior to looking it up for my blog. The picture to the side is of the actors from the movie "Serendipity."

Do I Believe this is a Word that I should Know Well: Yes, this term has been used often in film and TV and thus must be a fairly common word. I like that serendipity can also be a term to describe good luck. I think I should know this word because can use this word to describe events in history that happened by accident.
 
Do You Believe this is a Word You Want Others to Know Well: Yes, I think that others should know the term well because often times we encounter situations that accidentally happen and can be described by the term serendipity.

No comments:

Post a Comment