Sunday, November 28, 2010

14.3 Prima Ballerina

When and Where did I Find this Word:  I heard this word today with my boyfriends mother who during the Nutcracker by the RPO kept commenting on how beautiful the prima ballerina was. I have heard the term many times but had always just assumed that I knew the meaning of the word. I decided to look up the word to see if I knew the exact meaning.
What does the word mean: According to the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary (2010) the term prima ballerina is a noun and is the lead ballerina in a ballet company. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/prima+ballerina?show=0&t=1290992359
My familiarity with the word: I thought that the prima ballerina was the head or lead dancer, but after seeing the Nutcracker today and the many lead dancers, I was confused if I had a correct understanding of the term. The picture illustrates one of the many prima ballerinas who are casted in the Nutcracker. The Nutcracker travels through many lands with different ballerinas as the main focus of each dance.
Do I Believe this is a Word that I should Know Well: As a dancer in a dance company, I do think that I should know the term prima ballerina well. Although I am not a ballerina, it will still help me understand other dance companies and dancers roles better.
Do You Believe this is a Word You Want Others to Know Well: No, If you are not interested in ballet or do not plan on seeing ballets, I do not think that you would need to know this word well. It is more of a specialized term that people who enjoy the fine arts would probably know.

No comments:

Post a Comment