Friday, November 26, 2010

14.2 Flash Mob

When and Where did I Find this Word:  Today I searched in my browser for "new words 2009" and I clicked on the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary. I searched through the list of words and was struck by the term "flash mob." Yesterday I was just watching flash mobs on Youtube.com. I was surprised to see that this word was a newly added word to the dictionary. As a dancer, I was so happy to see this word in the dictionary! :-)
What does the word mean: According to the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary (2010), a flash mob is a noun and "a group of people summoned (as by e-mail or text message) to a designated location at a specified time to perform an indicated action before dispersing." http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/flash+mob?show=0&t=1290796921

My familiarity with the word: I first came across the term flash mob when one of my facebook friends posted a link to a flash mob at Ohio State on Facebook. I watched the video link and was pleasantly surprised to see that it was a group of people dancing. I selected this term because yesterday I watched a flash mob of 50 people freezing in a grocery store for 5 minutes. I wanted to learn more about the specifics of a flash mob and now know that it is an indicated action and can be much more than just dancing.
Do I Believe this is a Word that I should Know Well: Yes,  I should know this well because I would love to create my own flash mob with the dance company that I dance in!
Do You Believe this is a Word You Want Others to Know Well: Yes, often times random people are caught off guard by flash mobs that start out of no where. I think that this flash mob trend is growing more popular because of internet video sharing websites and I think we will be seeing a lot more of them in the future. Many of these videos have become internet sensations. For a more detailed look at a flash mob, please see the link I have attached. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQLCZOG202k

No comments:

Post a Comment