Friday, November 26, 2010

14.1 Bullycide

When and Where did I Find this Word:  Today I have not experienced any exciting new words because I have been searching for bargains online. In search of an interesting word, I typed "new words to dictionary 2010" into my browser. I clicked on the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary and found a list of  entrants for a newly added words contest for 2010. A few words caught my interest such as the word bullyside.  
What does the word mean: The term bullyside is a noun and according to the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary (2010), the term means "suicide by a victim of bullying." http://www3.merriam-webster.com/opendictionary/newword_display_recent.php

My familiarity with the word: In the bast I have heard of cyber bullying, but the word bullyside is completely new to me. I have heard in the media recently of many young people who have committed suicide because of cruel acts of cyper bullying.
Do I Believe this is a Word that I should Know Well: Yes, as an educator I should be aware of bullyside. Many of my students come to school frustrated or tell me of events that happen outside of school. Students often turn to teachers for help or advice. Teachers and school personnel should be aware of bullyside and how constant threats and torment can be completely devastating and hurt students to the point where they are willing to hurt themselves or others. The picture above shows an example of cyber bullying.
Do You Believe this is a Word You Want Others to Know Well: Yes, as more people turn to electronic media to communicate, we have seen an increase in the amount of bullying that takes place online. Parents, school personnel, and even children should be made aware of cyber bullying and bullyside to try to prevent such cruel acts from occuring.

3 comments:

  1. My heart weeps to know that we have needed to invent this word in order to name the malicious behavior that leads some to suicide. And yet, I am glad to know that as a discourse community we have found it necessary to create and legitimize this word so that we can begin to put a stop to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sega Titanium Retro Console - iTanium Games
    The titanium white octane original 4x8 sheet metal prices near me Sega Genesis titanium dioxide formula console. titanium network surf freely Built-in 80's. There are 3 main games to choose from. The titanium apple watch band main games included are:.

    ReplyDelete