Friday, November 19, 2010

12.2 Fowl

When and Where did I Find this Word: While I was at a professional development session at my school this past week on the topic of Thanksgiving, I was introduced to the word fowl. At first I was confused because I always thought this word was used to describe a disgusting spell or sight, however, I found a word I have heard with a meaning that I have not. In the spirit of Thanksgiving, I decided to learn more about fowl.
What does the word mean: From the presentation, I came to the understanding that a fowl was a type of bird. However, I wanted to make sure this was correct so I double checked with the trusty Dictionary.com. According to Dictionary.com, fowl is a noun and consists of "birds that are barnyard,  domesticated, or wild, as the duck, turkey, or pheasant." Now on Thanksgiving, you can say you are eating a fowl. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fowl

My familiarity with the word: I have never heard the term fowl used to describe "birds" prior to the presentation I attended on Thanksgiving. It does make sense that the turkey, chicken, and pheasant would all be categorized together and the term fowl does just that. My picture is of a Turkey or fowl being pardoned by George W. Bush.
Do I Believe this is a Word that I should Know Well: Yes, as a teacher who will teach about "what really happened" on the first Thanksgiving, I will need to know and be able to explain what a fowl is and that turkey fowl was not originally apart of the "first" thanksgiving with the Pilgrims as so many people believe.
Do You Believe this is a Word You Want Others to Know Well: Yes, whether reading dinner menus, grocery shopping, or even teaching about Thanksgiving, the term fowl can be used almost on a regular basis and thus, others should know it well.

1 comment:

  1. Malena, I admit, I was very surprised to learn you had never heard this word before. I am so glad you took advantage of this opportunity.

    ReplyDelete