Monday, October 11, 2010

6:1 Matrix

When and where did I find this word: I found the word matrix today while I was reading Word Wise and Content Rich by Fisher and Frey (2006, p. 78). The chapter discussed using graphic organizers to help students with vocabulary instruction. The sentence from the chapter said, "It's a matrix of sorts" (Fisher & Fry, 2006, p. 78).
What the word means: From the context of the chapter from Fisher and Frey, I am still not sure exactly what the meaning of matrix is. According to dictionary.com, a matrix is "something that constitutes the place or point from which something else originates, takes form, or develops." http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/matrix.

My level of Familiarity: I remember hearing the term matrix in math classes during high school and somewhat remember it had to do with lines and points of origin. The movie "The Matrix" also was popular when I was in high school and challenged by thinking of the term. The picture is of Neo from the movie and shows the point of origin and path of the bullet.

Do I Believe this is a Word that I should Know Well: Yes, the word was one that I was expected to know in high school and I believe that should know how to use it well because it is a commonly used term.
Do You Believe this is a Word You Want Others to Know Well: I think that others should know the term well because of the popularity of the word with the Matrix movies and because many of our students are expected to know the term for math, I think we should know the word and be able to use it in our own content areas to reinforce the word.

No comments:

Post a Comment