Sunday, October 31, 2010

10.1 Fizzle

When and Where did I Find this Word: I first heard this word two weeks ago at my dance practice with Converge Dance Company. One of the choreographers, Sarah Gullo said she wanted to create a dance to a "fizzle" story that one of her friends gave to her to create a piece around.


What does the word mean: Sarah defined the fizzle as a story that does not make sense. According to the Free Dictionary (2010), fizzle means "To fail or end weakly, especially after a hopeful beginning." I read the fizzle Sarah brought into practice. The story just starts and dis not make any sense. It looks like a poem, however, the story just goes on as one large paragaph. The story fizzles out with a promsing start and leaves the reader just as confused as they were when they started. http://www.thefreedictionary.com/fizzle
 
My familiarity with the word: I have heard the word in regards to the meaning that something comes to an end. I have never heard the word in regards to a story that doesn't make sense.

Do I Believe this is a Word that I should Know Well: Yes, I believe that I should know this term well because I am participating in a dance that is based around a fizzle story. I should be able to tell others who watch the performance what a fizzle is and how it relates to the dance I am performing.


Do You Believe this is a Word You Want Others to Know Well: Yes, as literacy educators, we should know that their is a type of story that is called a fizzle which does not make sense. We could have our students create fizzles or try to organize information to prevent their stories from becoming fizzles.

No comments:

Post a Comment