Sunday, October 17, 2010

8:1 Cinematic

When and Where did I Find this Word: Tonight I was watching an episode of Outsourced on NBC and a commercial caught my interest because of a specific word. The commercial described a new TV show on the network as "cinematic."

What the Word means: Cinematic is an adjective. According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, Cinematic means relating, suitable, or presented as a motion picture. In the context of the commercial, I believe that the advertisers meant that the film was worthy of airing on television. NBC's use of the term cinematic does not align with the definition giving by the Merriam Webster dictionary because the show is not in any form a "motion picture," rather it is a television show. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cinematic

My level of Familiarity: I have heard the term cinematic before and am very familiar with the term cinema. I know that the word cinema has to do with film and I believed that the word "cinematic" also was connected to film. I was curious about the definition because I had always thought that anything cinema related was about movies/film. The picture to the right is of a movie theatre which is what I often picture when I hear the word "cinematic."
Do I Believe this is a Word that I should Know Well: Yes, I do think I should know this term well because if I do eventually design an assignment that allows for students to create their own motion pictures or video productions, I could use the word "cinematic" to describe the video making process or include it in an evaluation.
Do You Believe this is a Word You Want Others to Know Well: Yes, I do think that others should know this word well because as literacy instructors, we will need to teach multi-modal aspects of literacy. Film and cinema is a growing part of using contemporary media for literacy instruction.

No comments:

Post a Comment