Thursday, September 16, 2010

3.2 Roborant

Where and When I found the Word: Today I have not heard any words that are new to me so I decided to take a look at the word of the day on dictionary.com. The word of the day was an odd word that did not interest me. I then decided to look back in the "word" of the day catalog collection. I selected the word of the day from my past birthday, December 3rd.

What it means: According to Dictionary.com, the word roborant means to restore or strengthen. Roborant is derived from the latin word roborare or to strengthen. For example, the military troops were exhausted from the battle and needed a time to roborant energy in order to prepare for the next battle. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Roborant

Level of Familiarity: To be totally honest, the first time I have heard or come across this word was today. At first, I thought because of the "robo" beginning of the word that it had something to do with robotics or mechanics.

Do I Want Others to Know this Word and Why? Yes, I think that this word could be used in any of the content areas. In physics and technology, the idea of strengthening is often important in the building of objects and predicting calculations. It could easily be used in English as a descriptive word or in social studies to describe a situation from the past. This word was not even in the spell check for Blogger. It must be an uncommonly used word.

Do I Think Others Should Know this Word Well... If so Why? I think that it is a word that may people are unfamiliar with because it is very uncommon. I believe it is an interesting word and one that others should have the opportunity to hear.

1 comment:

  1. Malena,

    I LOVE that you found the word that was highlighted on your birthday. This is such a perfect example of what it says in the literature time and time again....the words we choose to learn have to be personalized in some way. Sometimes the "personalizing" comes from needing to know the word and sometimes it comes for simply being able to connect it to one's own life in some way.

    A question I have for you...do you think you should cite dictionary.com at the end of your WHAT IT MEANS section? It sounds like you really relied on this reference to give you the language for the definition. Yes?

    Also, do you know how to add dictionary.com to your blog as a link? If you'd like to learn let me know.

    This is an excellent start to your class blog. I'm looking forward to learning what your next words are. Enjoy searching for words that are meaningful to you! Maybe the next words will come from your SCAT project? Just a thought....

    Dr. Jones

    ReplyDelete