Sunday, September 26, 2010

4.3 Fictive

When and where did I find this word: I also heard the word fictive from the weekly reading in the Word Wise and Content Rich textbook on page 126. I selected the word because I recognized the "fic" prefix from the word fiction. The word was under the week five vocabulary words with the root "fic and fac" which means to make.
Douglas Fisher & Frey, N. (2008). Wordwise Content Rich. Portsmith, NH: Heinemann.  


What the word means: The root of the word is "fic" which means to make. I know that fiction means to make believe, so I am curious to find the meaning of fictive. Dictionary.com says that fictive is "pertaining to the creation of fiction, imaginary." Fictive used in a sentence would sound like, "the story about the flying elephants was fictive!" http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fictive

My level of Familiarity: Although I had never heard of the word, I knew the word fiction which is a very similar term to the word fictive. I had never heard the word fictive used, but think I will use the word on my own in the future.

Do I Believe this is a Word that I should Know Well: Yes, I think that I should know this word well because it is very familiar with words that I already know. I really like the word and think that others maybe able to understand the word if they know the root "fic or fac."

Do You Believe this is a Word You Want Others to Know Well: I do think that others should know how to use this word well. Learning the word "fic" reminds me of going to the library in elementary school and the librarian explaining the difference between fiction and non-fiction. The term fiction and fictive are very similar and I think that people should know how to use the term.

2 comments:

  1. Malena,
    Where exactly did you find this word in Fisher and Frey?
    Give the page number to us so we can go back to our texts to review the word.

    Also, be sure to correct the reference citation you include here. Dictionary.coM (not con) You need to include the link to the word itself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. NOTE FOR ALL STUDENTS:

    Fictive is an ADJECTIVE. It is a term that describes something or someone as being not real or related to fiction.

    ReplyDelete