Wednesday, September 22, 2010

3.3 Tenochtitlan

When and Where did I Find it: I found the term on 9/21 as I was lesson planning for my next unit. I was using the same textbook that I will be using for my textbook assignment. I have taught about the Aztec's before but have never come across this term before.

What does it mean? According to my schools textbook (Billmeyer & Barton), Tenochtitlan was one of the greatest cities in the Americas at one time with a highly advanced society. It was the capital of the Aztecs and was one of the largest cities in the Americas during its prime years.
Billmeyer, R., & Barton, M.L.(1998). Teaching reading in the content areas: If not me than who? Alexandria, VA: McRel.

Level of Familiarity: I have never heard this term used up until today. I was surprised that a seventh grade book would have such detailed information. Several of the books I have taught from before did not have this term and information in it.

Do I want to know this word well and why? Yes! This is newly learned knowledge that I have to help me teach and better prepare my students for my next lesson unit.

Do I think others should know this word well and why? I think that most of u.s. have heard of the Aztecs and learned about them during our schooling. We often just learn about their achievements and that they lived in Central Mexico. I think that because this term is a name of an ancient city, many people may not use this word because it is highly specialized. I think that students should learn this word in connection to the early peoples unit in social studies. However, beyond the social studies room, I do not think the average person will need to know this word or be able to use it on a regular basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment