Wednesday, September 22, 2010

4.1 Arduous

When and where did I find this word: I was curious about words that my students might encounter when they do SAT prep. I googled student words of the day and came across a website called superkids.com which offers a word of the day for SAT review. I found the word today as I had a short break between school and an open house.

What the word means: According to superkids.com the word means labor intensive, difficult to do or complete, strenuous, requiring great exertion, hard to endure, severe. Once I read the meaning, I could see the connection. The ending "uous" often common to words like strenuous, laborious, vigorous. The connection made sense in my mind when I learned the meaning. http://www.superkids.com/

My level of Familiarity: I have heard the word used once and a while but have never used the term myself. I am pretty sure that I came across this term while I was studying for the SAT's myself. I had one of the Barron's review book and tried to go through may of the words and I am sure this term was in the study guide. I do not think that I ever stopped to take the time to look up the meaning of the word before.

Do I Believe this is a Word that I should Know Well: I do want to know this word well because I have heard it used many times and have not taken the time to learn it up until this point. I think that I can use this word to describe my day or very difficult events and occasions.

Do You Believe this is a Word You Want Others to Know Well: Yes, I think that this term is a word that people should know. The suffix of the word "ous" is very common in words that we use daily. The Suffix "ous" means to be full of or having quality of. I believe that others should know this word because we often say "I had a bad day." Instead of using words like "bad, hard, tiring," we could try to use new, more descriptive words such as "arduous."

No comments:

Post a Comment